Re: [Bizgres-general] WAL bypass for INSERT, UPDATE and

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [Bizgres-general] WAL bypass for INSERT, UPDATE and
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Andrew Dunstan" <andrew@dunslane.net> writes:
> Simon Riggs said:
>> Following Andrew's concerns, I'd also note that ALTER TABLE requires a
>> much higher level of privilege to operate than does COPY. That sounds
>> like it will make things more secure, but all it does is open up the
>> administrative rights, since full ownership rights must be obtained
>> merely to load data.

> My concern is more about making plain that this is for special operations,
> not normal operations. Or maybe I have misunderstood the purpose.

Rephrase that as "full ownership rights must be obtained to load data in
a way that requires dropping any existing indexes and locking out other
users of the table".  I don't think the use-case for this will be very
large for non-owners, or indeed even for owners except during initial
table creation; and so I don't think the above argument is strong.