Re: missing history file

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: missing history file
Дата
Re: missing history file
Список pgsql-admin
On Fri, 2007-06-29 at 07:55 -0400, George Wilk wrote:

> My warm standby server is looking for a history file when booting up.
> It is looking for 00000001.history file to be exact.

Just ignore 00000001. Recovery will work fine even if absent. Don't
ignore all history files though, just that one. Hmmm, come to think of
it, why is it requesting it at all? We should just skip that request.

>  Since my *live* server doesn’t produce such file, I create an empty
> 00000001.history file in the archive directory and that seems to
> satisfy this requirement allowing the standby server to come up in the
> recovery mode.

Well, that should at least generate a message that says "history file
empty, using targetTLI".

> It would be nice to know though how such file is created.  I know that
> the *live* server creates *.backup file as a result of
> pg_stop_backup() command and this file is accurately archived on the
> standby server.  Should I be renaming this file, or is there some
> other mechanism to tell my standby server what the history file is?

The timeline history file is only required when you do a recovery of a
system that has itself already undergone a PITR.

Have a look at pg_standby, accessible via CVS in contrib/pg_standby.

--
  Simon Riggs