Re: the right time to vacuum database?

От Brad Nicholson
Тема Re: the right time to vacuum database?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 16:59 -0700, Charles.Hou wrote:
> On 6 5 ,   9 12 , bnich...@ca.afilias.info (Brad Nicholson) wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 03:33 -0700, Charles.Hou wrote:
> > > how can i know that it's the time to vacuumdb? i set the crontab to
> > > vacuumdb 3 times in one day. because my database size increase from
> > > 440MB to 460MB in 8 hours.
> >
> > Have you looked at autovaccum?  It can handle this for you.
> >
> > If not, you need to examine the output of VACUUM VERBOSE or pg_stattuple
> > (in contrib) and set a policy based on the output.
> >
> > It's entirely possible that some tables will need to get vacuumed
> > frequently, and others will not.
> >
> > --
> > Brad Nicholson  416-673-4106
> > Database Administrator, Afilias Canada Corp.

> >                http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq
>
> where is the contrib directory? i can't find it.

If you built your own binaries from source, there is a directory called
contrib under the root of your source tree.  You'll need to build the
modules.

If you installed a package, you'll probably need to grab a contrib
package for your version as well (I'm not overly familiar with the
pre-packaged binaries).  Look in the following directory for your
binaries:

/path_to_postgres/doc/contrib

If the contrib stuff is installed, you'll find the appropriate docs
there.

--
Brad Nicholson  416-673-4106