Re: Searching data across tables, some large

От Robert Fitzpatrick
Тема Re: Searching data across tables, some large
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 2007-05-23 at 18:53 -0400, Ericson Smith wrote:
> Yeah, we've used Tsearch with joins and searches on other fields on
> the tsearch table no problem. Tsearches are  just another part of a
> WHERE clause.

And can there be Tsearch fields built based on fields in different
tables? Where can I find the best docs for TSearch2? I'm looking for
information pertaining to how TSearch can help in my situation, instead
of building a view with a lot of joins causing absurd amount of rows
returned.

Or am I going to need to limit the tables a user can search at one time
regardless? For instance, seems if I join my table of clients with
contacts to return all the contacts with company info, no problem. I can
also join my clients with activity *or* comments table. But if I try to
left join all three of those tables in one view against clients, seems
to return way too many rows. Of course, I will not want all those rows,
but I can't get it to respond to queries. Meanwhile, I can create a view
with just the comments table joined to clients, while the count is over
1 million records, select statements execute quickly.

Is TSearch for me? Thanks for the advice!

--
Robert