Re: scalablility problem

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: scalablility problem
Список pgsql-performance
On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 15:25, Xiaoning Ding wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> When I run multiple TPC-H queries (DBT3) on  postgresql, I found the system
> is not scalable.  My machine has 8GB memory, and 4 Xeon Dual Core processor
> ( 8 cores in total). OS kernel is linux 2.6.9. Postgresql is 7.3.18. I
> run multiple
> q2 queries simultaneously. The results are:
>
> 1 process takes 0.65 second to finish.
> 2 processes take 1.07 seconds.
> 4 processes take 4.93 seconds.
> 8 processes take 16.95 seconds.
>
> For 4-process case and 8-process case, queries takes even more time than
> they are executed serially one after another. Because the system has 8GB
> memory, which is much bigger than the DB size(SF=1), and I warmed the cache
> before I run the test, I do not think the problem was caused by disk I/O.

You may be right, you may be wrong.  What did top / vmstat have to say
about IO wait / disk idle time?

PostgreSQL has to commit transactions to disk.  TPC-H does both business
decision mostly read queries, as well as mixing in writes.  If you have
one hard drive, it may well be that activity is stacking up waiting on
those writes.

> I think it might be caused by some contentions. But I do not know postgresql
> much. May anybody give me some clue to find the reasons?

Others have mentioned your version of postgresql.  7.3 is quite old, as
it came out at the end of 2002.  Seeing as 7.3 is the standard pgsql
version supported by RHEL3, and RHEL came with a 2.6.9 kernel, I'm gonna
guess your OS is about that old too.

pgsql 7.3 cannot take advantage of lots of shared memory, and has some
issues scaling to lots of CPUs / processes.

While RHEL won't be EOLed for a few more years (redhat promises 7 years
I think) it's really not a great choice for getting started today.
RHEL5 just released and RHEL4 is very stable.

There are several things to look at to get better performance.

1:  Late model PostgreSQL.  Go with 8.2.3 or as a minimum 8.1.8
2:  Late model Unix.
3:  RAID controller with battery backed cache
4:  Plenty of memory.
5:  Lots of hard drives
6:  4 to 8 CPUs.

Then, google postgresql performance tuning. There are three or four good
tuning guides that pop up right at the top.