Re: MSSQL/ASP migration

От Robert Fitzpatrick
Тема Re: MSSQL/ASP migration
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 12:13 -0500, Ted Byers wrote:
> Is the original application ASP or SP.NET?  It makes a difference,
> particularly if it was developed to take advantage of ASP.NET 2.  It might
> conceivably be ASP.NET 3, but since that is brand new I can't see anyone
> paying to replace an ASP.NET 3 application that was just created.  If it is
> ASP.NET 2, and you can't find a PostgreSQL provider class, your simplest
> approach after migrating the data might be to write your own provider (check
> a recent, decent reference on ASP.NET 2 for details - there are several).
> OTOH, if it is ASP.NET 1.x or the earlier ASP, your planned conversion to
> PHP might be worth comparing to developing it de novo with ASP.NET 3.

Thanks for the response, the existing app is completely in just ASP,
done several years ago. The current app only handles one division of the
company and is still small and simple enough to migrate inexpensively.
There are several divisions now, the security needs to be re-written to
allow for more diverse access levels, etc. They are interested in
PostgreSQL/PHP first so they can run it on basically any platform with
relative ease and second, because we are more experienced and already
have lots of tools to support the rapid development under PHP, we're old
Perl hackers.

> I am not an MS advocate, and I don't like tying myself to one vendor, but
> for obvious commercial reasons I have to be aware of the options including
> MS options.  I recently, therefore, started studying all things .NET, and
> comparing to other application frameworks I've worked with, MS seems to have
> done a decent job with ASP.NET 2 and 3.  Therefore, if I have a client
> running mostly MS software,

They have the MS SQL server (SMB 2003) also running the IIS web
application and a file sharing server (W2K), that's it. No current major
commitment to MS. We have loaded Linux on a third server now being used
for some mail duties where we can build the new application and decide
on its production server specs later.

>  and time is of the essence, I would probably
> make .NET, ASP.NET3 or a Windows .NET app, as the case may be, my first
> choice; that is unless I find a public domain framework in Perl or PHP that
> is competitive with .NET.  That said, I've not had an opportunity to see how
> it performs in a production setting, so YMMV.

Yeah, so far, time has not been the main concern, more of a concern that
they have lots of options going forward and scalability and availability
using any browser.

--
Robert

Сообщение: Re: printf-like format strings
Сообщение: Re: printf-like format strings