Re: MSSQL/ASP migration

От Ted Byers
Тема Re: MSSQL/ASP migration
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Is the original application ASP or SP.NET?  It makes a difference,
particularly if it was developed to take advantage of ASP.NET 2.  It might
conceivably be ASP.NET 3, but since that is brand new I can't see anyone
paying to replace an ASP.NET 3 application that was just created.  If it is
ASP.NET 2, and you can't find a PostgreSQL provider class, your simplest
approach after migrating the data might be to write your own provider (check
a recent, decent reference on ASP.NET 2 for details - there are several).
OTOH, if it is ASP.NET 1.x or the earlier ASP, your planned conversion to
PHP might be worth comparing to developing it de novo with ASP.NET 3.

I am not an MS advocate, and I don't like tying myself to one vendor, but
for obvious commercial reasons I have to be aware of the options including
MS options.  I recently, therefore, started studying all things .NET, and
comparing to other application frameworks I've worked with, MS seems to have
done a decent job with ASP.NET 2 and 3.  Therefore, if I have a client
running mostly MS software, and time is of the essence, I would probably
make .NET, ASP.NET3 or a Windows .NET app, as the case may be, my first
choice; that is unless I find a public domain framework in Perl or PHP that
is competitive with .NET.  That said, I've not had an opportunity to see how
it performs in a production setting, so YMMV.

HTH

Ted