Re: Spam from EnterpriseDB?

От Guy Fraser
Тема Re: Spam from EnterpriseDB?
Дата
Re: Spam from EnterpriseDB?  ("Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure@gmail.com>)
Re: Spam from EnterpriseDB?  (Scott Ribe <scott_ribe@killerbytes.com>)
Re: Spam from EnterpriseDB?  (Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>)
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, 2007-01-18 at 17:48 -0800, Richard Troy wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jan 2007, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > >
> > > Spam is spam.  I don't care what they're selling.  Anyone dumb enough to
> > > send spam in 2006 should be fired on the spot.
> >
> > That is a bit extreme. One persons SPAM is another persons interesting
> > information. Although I agree that the behavior in this particular
> > situation was a bit less than the average IQ score.
> >
> > If you are going to communicate with potential customers, especially as
> > SPAM have the integrity to do it yourself and take the heat yourself.
> > Don't use some off brand secondary service and pay them to spam for you.
> >
> > I send out email all the time to potentials. It is common practice but I
> > do it, directly as me.
>
> Josh, under the law, that's not spam. Individually written emails are
> never spam even if they may be "unsolicited sales material." So, rest
> assured.
>
> Richard

You are oh so wrong in so many ways.

SPAM is a term used for unsolicited email of any kind be it UCE
{unsolicited commercial email}, UBE {unsolicited bulk email} or
anything else that is unsolicited and sent to a large number of
individuals or cross posted to a number of mailing lists and or
news groups.

I feel that all @en25.com and @enterprisedb.com should be
considered for banning from the PostgreSQL mailing lists without
a better apology than has been given to date:

"EnterpriseDB recently sent out email advertising new support offerings.
Unfortunately, the email was incorrectly sent to some people who should
not have received it.  We apologize for the error, and are taking steps
to avoid such mistakes in the future."
    Denis Lussier, CTO & Founder

The part about : "incorrectly sent to some people who should not have
received it"

Is far too weak. I am certain that I never expressed any interest
in EnterpriseDB on the announce list or any other PostgreSQL list.
Posting the message on the list would have been just as effective.
I would expect EnterpriseDB to remove me and anyone else who
has not expressed interest from their list. I thought that the FAQ
indicated that harvesting of emails off the list was not allowed,
I will have to review it, when I have time. As an employee of a
Network Service Provider, I know that we do not tolerate repeat
incidences of intentional Unsolicited email, and especially frown
on complaints of harvested mailing lists.

I do not want any personal communication from EnterpriseDB in
response to this posting or ever again in the future, if they want
to respond they can reply to this post on this mailing list.

I have verified that their NSP is in Canada and have determined
that address harvesting may be illegal if it is not already in
Canada. See Item 7 on :

http://www.e-com.ic.gc.ca/epic/internet/inecic-ceac.nsf/en/h_gv00337e.html