Re: TRIGGER BEFORE INSERT

От Rafal Pietrak
Тема Re: TRIGGER BEFORE INSERT
Дата
Re: TRIGGER BEFORE INSERT  (Alban Hertroys <alban@magproductions.nl>)
Список pgsql-general
Hi!

I'm re-posting this message again in hope someone would have a look at
the case again.   .. it's pending.

In postgres v7.2 I had a trigger function launched BEFORE INSERT, which
did everything I needed (like an UPDATE of other table inside of that
trigger function, and adjustment of the INSERTed ROW)

Currently (as of postgress v8.1.4) I have to put that function OUTSIDE
of a trigger and to achieve that same functionality, in addition to the
original INSERT to the original table, I have to:
    1. make a separate SELECT on that table.
    2. make a separate UPDATE on that table.

Does anyone have any idea how to 'optimise' that? Like folding-up the
three statements I need for this to work in v8.1.4 back to (or closer
to) the initial single statement?

I fear I lack the necesary SQL experience to optimise (I feel like lucky
to have a workaround).

Any help apreciated.

-R