Re: Recovery plan for DRDB setup - recovery tool

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Recovery plan for DRDB setup - recovery tool
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Thu, 2006-12-07 at 09:36 +0000, Morten Andersen wrote:
> Our initial tests also shows that the failovers are problem free. But
> we
> would like to have a plan for how to handle the case where a failover
> fails.

With respect to DRBD, you'd need to look at how that works specifically
since it isn't part of the basic distrubution.

> So are there any Postgresql tools for analyzing and repairing the
> "offline" database files (like e.g. the MySQL 'myisamchk'-tool). Or
> are
> there only "online" tools like 'vacuumdb --full --analyze'.

The philosophy is different.

PostgreSQL tries to bring up your database and make it available as
quickly as possible, even after a crash. The checking of any changed
data blocks is performed automatically during recovery - so no need to
run a manual tool while the server is down.

The idea that you'd need a checking tool comes from not trusting your
database. The PostgreSQL way is to ensure you don't lose that trust
because there are no short-cuts and leaps of faith taken to make the
database go faster.

--
  Simon Riggs