Re: Integrating Replication into Core

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: Integrating Replication into Core
Список pgsql-hackers
Ühel kenal päeval, E, 2006-11-27 kell 07:50, kirjutas Joshua D. Drake:
> > > I originally responded to the rest of your email but thought better of
> > > it. The only thing I can say is, my experience is that something like
> > > replication will only be productively completed, outside the community.
> >
> > This is like nVidia saying that "open source developers are not
> > competent enough to understand the coding of a graphics card driver".
> >

> I believe you misunderstood me. I am not saying that replication can not
> be built in an Open Source manner. Slony is a perfect example of that. I
> am saying that involving the larger, general PostgreSQL community in
> such a task would be counter-productive.

As several different approaches to "replication" involve same
requirements and/or touching the same places in code it seems a good
idea to at least get some more or less formal descriptions from parties
involved.

Also, it seems that largely the same things are needed for other
projects, like precomputed/materialized views and auditing or some other
non-replication data moving methods.

While each of the replication and non-replication projects does do its
own thing, it may still be beneficial to try to provide some hooks in
right places for them. Not all projects need to use all of them but
having all projects patch the same places in core code will make it
pretty much impossible to use more than one at a time.

As an example, one may want to have both synchronous auditing data and
async replication to be done on the same live database, both gathered at
the point of data manipulation and both moved to different machines.

--
Hannu Krosing

Skype me:  callto:hkrosing
Get Skype for free:  http://www.skype.com