Re: Hints proposal

От Jeff Davis
Тема Re: Hints proposal
Дата
Re: Hints proposal
Список pgsql-performance
On Thu, 2006-10-12 at 10:14 -0500, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> The syntax these hints is something arbitrary. I'm borrowing Oracle's
> idea of embedding hints in comments, but we can use some other method if
> desired. Right now I'm more concerned with getting the general idea
> across.

Is there any advantage to having the hints in the queries? To me that's
asking for trouble with no benefit at all. It would seem to me to be
better to have a system catalog that defined hints as something like:

"If user A executes a query matching regex R, then coerce (or force) the
planner in this way."

I'm not suggesting that we do that, but it seems better then embedding
the hints in the queries themselves.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis