Re: Advice request: Postgresql setup for flash memories.

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Advice request: Postgresql setup for flash memories.
Список pgsql-admin
On Sun, 2006-08-27 at 16:45, Tom Lane wrote:
> =?iso-8859-1?q?Enrique=20Ariz=F3n?= <e_arizon_benito@yahoo.com> writes:
> >  since flash memory hardware is dropping prices at
> > high rate I was planning to test how Postgresql runs
> > in such hardware.
>
> This is probably a bad idea, unless the number-of-write-cycles
> limitation of flash memory has gone away while I wasn't looking.
> PG is pretty piggy as far as rewriting disk pages goes, especially
> for the WAL files.

Note that most flash memory controllers randomize the accesses across
the media to prevent / slow this problem.  So, it's critical that IF one
has a pg store on a flash device that it have a controller that spreads
writes around.  Without that, your flash memory will fail fairly soon.