Re: support for ltree

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: support for ltree
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Michael Shapiro <mshapiro51@gmail.com> writes:
> Thanks for this response. It still leave my question unanswered. I should
> rephrase it -- will <ltree> become a native datatype in Postgres (as
> opposed to remaining an extension). Are there any plans to make <ltree> a
> native datatype?

No.  That is not the same as it being unsupported.  Postgres is built
around the concept of being extensible, and one important aspect of that
is having some "standard" extensions as test cases.  ltree seems to fit
that category quite well, in that it's useful for some people but not so
widely used as to need to be in core.

(Even if there were a credible argument for putting ltree in core, I doubt
it would win out over backwards-compatibility concerns.  We've found in
the past that moving things into core is not exactly transparent.)