Re: Is full_page_writes=off safe in conjunction with

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: Is full_page_writes=off safe in conjunction with
Список pgsql-hackers
Ühel kenal päeval, L, 2006-04-15 kell 11:49, kirjutas Tom Lane:
> Hannu Krosing <hannu@skype.net> writes:
> > If I'm desperate enough to get the 2x reduction of WAL writes, I may
> > even write my own backup solution.
>
> Given Florian's concern, sounds like you might have to write your own
> kernel too.  In which case, generating a variant build of Postgres
> that allows full_page_writes to be disabled is certainly not beyond
> your powers.  But for the ordinary mortal DBA, I think this combination
> is just too unsafe to even consider.

I guess that writing our own pg_tar, which cooperates with postgres
backends to get full pages, is still in the realm of possible things,
even on kernels which dont guarantee atomic visibility of write() calls.

But until such is included in the distribution it is a good idea indeed
to disable full_page_writes=off when doing PITR.

Hannu