Re: Hardware related question: 3ware 9500S

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Hardware related question: 3ware 9500S
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 13:10, Ted Byers wrote:
> [...]

There have been NUMEROUS discussions of RAID-5 versus RAID 1+0 in the
perform group in the last year or two.  Short version:

RAID 5 is useful, with large numbers of drives, for OLAP type databases,
where you're trying to get as much storage as possible from your
drives.  RAID 5 pretty much REQUIRES battery backed cache for decent
write performance, and even then, will saturate faster than RAID 1+0.
RAID-5 cannot survive multiple simultaneous drive failures.

RAID 1+0 requires better than average controllers, since many serialize
and lockstep data through the various layers of RAID on them.  It
provides less storage for a given number of drives.  It is faster for
OLTP workloads than RAID-5.  RAID 1+0 can survive multiple drive
failures as long as two drives in the same mirror set do not fail at
once.

With increasing number of drives, the chances of a RAID 5 failing go up
linearly, while the chances of RAID 1+0 failing due to multiple drive
failure stay the same.