Re: Hardware related question: 3ware 9500S

От Ted Byers
Тема Re: Hardware related question: 3ware 9500S
Дата
Re: Hardware related question: 3ware 9500S  ("Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general

Hi Merlin

Why?  What's wrong with raid 5? I could well be wrong (given how little
attention I have paid to hardware over the past few years because of a focus
on developing software), but I was under the impression that of the raid
options available, raid 5 with hot swappable drives provided good data
protection and performance at a reasonably low cost.  Is the problem with
the concept of raid 5, or the common implementations?

Do you have a recommendation regarding whether the raid array is built into
the server running the RDBMS (in our case PostgreSQL), or located in a
network appliance dedicated to storing the data managed by the RDBMS?  If
you were asked to design a subnet that provides the best possible
performance and protection of the data, but without gold-plating anything,
what would you do?  How much redundancy would you build in, and at what
granularity?

Ted