Re: PostgreSQL makes me lie

От joseph
Тема Re: PostgreSQL makes me lie
Дата
Список pgsql-general
2006-04-01 (토), 19:26 -0700, Brendan Duddridge 쓰시길:
> Excellent. I've just downloaded citext and I'll try it out. Are there
> any problems with it?
> It seems like this should just be added as a default data type to
> PostgreSQL.
>
> Thanks,

> Brendan Duddridge | CTO | 403-277-5591 x24 |  brendan@clickspace.com
>
> ClickSpace Interactive Inc.
> Suite L100, 239 - 10th Ave. SE
> Calgary, AB  T2G 0V9
>
> http://www.clickspace.com
>
> On Apr 1, 2006, at 7:15 PM, Robert Treat wrote:
>
> > On Saturday 01 April 2006 17:26, Brendan Duddridge wrote:
> >> We used to use FrontBase for our databases, but we have since
> >> switched to PostgreSQL for
> >> performance reasons. However, FrontBase did have very nice collation
> >> support.
> >>
> >> To get case insensitive searches (even on UTF-8 data), all you had to
> >> do was alter the column
> >> and set its collation to 'CASE_INSENSITIVE' like so:
> >>
> >> alter column "test"."Column1" to collate
> >> "INFORMATION_SCHEMA"."CASE_INSENSITIVE";
> >>
> >> It would be VERY nice if PostgreSQL supported this as it would easily
> >> allow you to write
> >> case insensitive queries that use an index like:
> >>
> >> select * from TEST where column1 like 'SOme ValUe%' or even just use
> >> the equals operator
> >> for an exact match yet still case insensitive.
> >>
> >> Right now to get the same effect we create an index using a function
> >> like 'lower(some_column)'.
> >> But that requires us to write our queries like:
> >>
> >> select * from test where lower(column1) like lower('SOme ValUe%');
> >>

> >> Any ideas if better collation support is in the plans for future
> >> versions of PostgreSQL?
> >>

> > Improved collation support is being worked on but it's a complex
> > problem so
> > there's no realt ETA. (Developers interested in helping out our
> > encouraged to
> > send a note to -hackers).  In the mean time check out the citext
> > project:
> > http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/citext/projdisplay.php
> >
> > --
> > Robert Treat
> > Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

I was on the postgres lists about 1 1/2 years ago, since then i haven't
been on then.  when there was a question about modifying the way
postgres does collation and supports character sets on a database (as
opposed to table, or column-level manner) there was much clammer from
the developers about how that would break all past applications and it
was too difficult to program, but as i said, it's been a while.  it
sounds like it's teh same.  the developers are annoyed with constant
reminders of their flawed scheme and there is no timetable for a change
yet (that i know of).
qualifications noted.