Re: Bloated pg_shdepend_depender_index

От Rafael Martinez
Тема Re: Bloated pg_shdepend_depender_index
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 17:17 -0600, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 01:05:59AM +0200, Rafael Martinez wrote:
> > I work with postgresql every day and I am very happy with it, but this
> > does not mean I can not see the issues that could be improve to have a
> > even  better open source DBMS. And I think in my humble opinion that
> > bloated indexes + better upgrade procedures between major releases are
> > two things that should get improved in the future.
>
> FWIW, I don't know of any upgrade procedures for databases that can
> quickly do an in-place upgrade when underlying file structures change,
> because ultimately you need to read and write the entire database
> on-disk.

I know there is not an easy solution to the dump/restore procedure, and
maybe even it is not possible (I am not a postgres developer and don't
know the postgres internals and what it is necessary to do between major
releases) Does the file structures change always between every major
release?

Today I asked some colleagues in the oracle department and in the past
they had to do this dump/restore procedure between major releases, but
not anymore. Now they start the database in a special mode (singel?)
after upgrading the software and run some scripts that modify what it
needs to be modify without having to dump/restore all the data. The time
needed to run this process changes between versions, sometimes goes very
fast, other times takes more time but they say that this process is much
faster than the old dump/restore one.

regards,
--
Rafael Martinez, <r.m.guerrero@usit.uio.no>