Re: Recovery in PostgreSql

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Recovery in PostgreSql
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 14:55 +0530, Sumita Chatterjee wrote:
> I have two questions:
>
> 1. In Postgresql, what is the name of the exact DATAFILE under the DATA
> DIRECTORY ?
>
> 2. We want to prepare a backup machine (for disaster management) by
> passing only the ARCHIVEDIR directory from another online machine - both
> the machines have Postgresql installed. We have sent PGLOG and ARCHIVEDIR
> but the recovery is not successful unless we send the FULL DATA Directory.
>
> Please help us in resolving this problem whereby we do not have to send
> the full DATA Directory.

You need to *start* from a full base backup of the data directory. So
you need to transfer *all* of the data at least once.

Recovery can then proceed using just the transfer of the xlog files.

Think of that the base backup brings the data and the xlog files bring
the current state of that data.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs