Re: Statement_timeout in procedure block

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Statement_timeout in procedure block
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> writes:
> What works is setting the parameter on the procedure:

> test=> CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE sit() LANGUAGE plpgsql SET statement_timeout = 2000 AS 'BEGIN PERFORM pg_sleep(5);
END;';
> CREATE PROCEDURE

That doesn't work either, for me, and I would not expect any of these
variants to do so.  The reason is that statement_timeout is defined
to limit the runtime of a "statement" defined as a single command
received from the client --- in this case, the CALL statement --- and
the timer starts running (or doesn't) at the time of command receipt.
So it's the previously-prevailing value of statement_timeout that
determines what happens, and no amount of thrashing within the command
will change the already-established overall timeout for it.

If you're desperate, transaction_timeout might serve for this, since
it looks like changes in that affect the timer immediately.  But
it has the effect of killing the session altogether, which is
probably a bigger hammer than you want.