Re: "Too many open files in system" error

От Jonatan Evald Buus
Тема Re: "Too many open files in system" error
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
"ulimit -Hn" shows 11095 which is the same as kern.maxfilesperproc.

"ulimit -a" shows the following
socket buffer size       (bytes, -b) unlimited
core file size          (blocks, -c) unlimited
data seg size           (kbytes, -d) 524288
file size               (blocks, -f) unlimited
max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) unlimited
max memory size         (kbytes, -m) unlimited
open files                      (-n) 11095 <-------------- Samee as kern.maxfilesperproc
pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 1
stack size              (kbytes, -s) 65536
cpu time               (seconds, -t) unlimited
max user processes              (-u) 5547
virtual memory          (kbytes, -v) unlimited

"sysctl -a | grep kern.maxfile" gives the following kernel limits:
kern.maxfiles: 12328
kern.maxfilesperproc: 11095

PostGreSQL seems to have settled around 4800 open file descriptors as counted by "lsof | grep postgres | wc -l" and the number of open files around 3500 as indicated by "sysctl -a | grep kern.openfile"

The only things that's running on the machine is PostGreSQL, hence first suspicion naturally falls on the database.
It just seems odd that it'd start behaving like this after having run with no problems for 6 months.

Any insight or suggestions as to where to start digging would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Jona