Re: Does this look ethical to you?

От Devrim GUNDUZ
Тема Re: Does this look ethical to you?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 07:56 -0600, Tony Caduto wrote:
> I don't think mentioning a product as a alternative to pgAdmin III is
> wrong since pgAdmin III has such a big advantage being distributed
> with
> the Windows version of Postgresql.  It almost has monopoly written on
> it
> since the user is not given any idea that there is anything else
> available. At least you are not forced to install it, but still a
> HUGE,HUGE advantage over any other competing product.

IMHO pgAdmin does not compete with other "products", since it is a
community-driven GUI for PostgreSQL. Look what you wrote yesterday:

On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 20:52 -0600, Tony Caduto wrote:
> I am kind of ticked off that they are hijacking my product name this
> way.

PGLA is *your* *product*, but pgAdmin is community software. As stated
before, I think many people will be glad if you distribute PGLA (or a
part of it) as OSS.

So pgAdmin is apart from many other GUIs since it is OSS and has
excellent features like Slony, GE, etc. It deserves to be distributed
with Windows Installer, unless another Open Source GUI which may beat
pgAdmin with its features appears on the stage. Also it is available on
Linux and some *nix systems, which I think is one of the best features.

Regards,