Re: Question

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Question
Список pgsql-admin
On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 09:59, Chris Van Reenen wrote:
> Hi.
>

> I want to find out if postgresql can be used in place of MS SQL?
>
> But I want to find out if I can get SharePoint working on postgre with
> out any limitations.
>
> I was given the task to see if there is any other DB that we can run
> share point on.
>
> I don’t want to try for months and then find out that it can’t be
> done.
>
> So if you guys can just give me a answer on this, it will be great.
>
> Thanks for your help and keep the good work going..

Microsoft makes and sells both of those products, so it's unlikely that
they'll make the database easily replaceable, as forcing you to use MS
SQL server ensures they get maximum income from SharePoint.

I'm not saying it won't work.  Just that even if you do get it to work,
it's likely to have some problems here and there.  PostgreSQL is NOT a
direct replacement for MS SQL server, and it's not uncommon for someone
to write code that uses some artifact of MS SQL that no other database
supports.

If your boss wants to run SharePoint, I'd suggest running MS SQL
underneath it.

Of course, I'd recommend not running either, having had experience with
both in the past.  But that's just me.