Re: pie-in-sky idea: 'sensitive' function parameters

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: pie-in-sky idea: 'sensitive' function parameters
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 3:26 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> One missing part of that is that we'd need to support bind parameters
>> for utility statements, eg new password in ALTER USER.  That's been
>> on the wish list for a long time anyway, of course.  I think it's
>> mostly a matter of lack of round tuits, rather than any fundamental
>> problem.  (Parameters in transaction control statements might have
>> fundamental problems, but we can just dismiss that as out of scope.)

> I might be wrong, but isn't this, like, a ton of work?

I'm not sure how much work, but yeah, there'd be work to do.

I don't think there are all that many places where we really have
just a string literal (of course, ALTER USER PASSWORD is a poster
child exception).  I think a large fraction of the interesting cases are
places where there's some amount of expression eval capability already,
eg parameters in EXECUTE.  Syntactically you can already do

execute foo(1, $1 + 2);

and the only part of that that doesn't work is passing in a parameter.