Re: Server Hardware Configuration

От Mario Splivalo
Тема Re: Server Hardware Configuration
Дата
Re: Server Hardware Configuration
Список pgsql-admin
On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 11:53 -0600, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> Two general comments: most people find that Opterons perform much better
> than Xeons. With some versions of PostgreSQL, the difference is over
> 50%.

Could you be more specific on that? Which version of Postgres perform
better on Opteron than on Xeon?

> RAID5 generally doesn't make for a fast database. The problem is that
> there is a huge amount of overhead everytime you go to write something
> out to a RAID5 array. With careful tuning of the background writer you
> might be able to avoid some of that penalty, though your read
> performance will likely still be affected by the write overhead.

RAID5 was not ment to improve performance, but to minimize disaster and
downtime when your hard disk dies. We're using RAID5 with postgres. In
the last 3 years we changed 5 disks, but the system downtime was zero
minutes.

    Mike
--
Mario Splivalo
Mob-Art

"I can do it quick, I can do it cheap, I can do it well. Pick any two."