Re: install new version of Redhat without deleting

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: install new version of Redhat without deleting
Список pgsql-admin
On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 10:47, FM wrote:
> Hello erverybody,
> I need to install a new version of Redhat on my server.
> On the distro, pgsql data are in : /var/lib/pgsql (which is mounted on
> its own partition).
> Can I "just" install the new version of Redhat, reinstall the same
> version of Postgresql (7.4.8) ?
> I'll do a pgdump all just in case

It might work, but there are no guarantees.  The two versions basically
need to have been compiled with a few different settings the same, or
the new version won't be able to run on the old versions data
directory.  Worth a try though.  As long as you have that pg_dump
sitting around.