Strange error

От Csaba Nagy
Тема Strange error
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi all,

I wonder what caused the error we just got on a postgres 8.0.3 data base
(using JDBC to connect, but I guess that's not really relevant for this
error):

[snip stack trace]
Caused by: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: could not access
status of transaction 0
[snip]

Could it be some kind of data corruption?

The data base was created/started up using the hot-standby procedure
described here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/backup-online.html
with some custom archive_command/restore_command scripts in place to
keep the standby running and up to date.

This time it was actually the switch back from the original stand-by
functioning now as master after we had to put it in production after the
original master machine stopped responding (which later turned out to be
caused by a too many files opened in the system error).

The machine is still running without restart after finishing recovery. I
wonder if restarting it will solve any reminiscent problems or some more
work is needed ?

TIA,
Csaba.