Re: On "multi-master"

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: On "multi-master"
Re: On "multi-master"  (Andrew Sullivan <ajs@crankycanuck.ca>)
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 2005-10-14 at 10:48, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 11:54:19PM +0900, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> > Enforcement? There would be plenty of ways to achieve that. For
> > example, you could set pg_hba.conf so that on ly the host where pgpool
> > is running on could connect to the host where postmaster is running
> > on.
>
> That just changes the problem to someone logging in from that host.
> (This isn't a theoretical problem, by the way; it's an objection that
> I've heard from people.)

You're users shouldn't be able to do that.  If they can, you've set up
your system wrong.  Only the DBA should have access to that machine.
This is the same kind of problem as having a user log into a slony
replicant and issue the command "drop schema _clustername cascade" being
a problem.  It's a permission / user problem.

> > Right. It's your freedom that you do not use pgpool until you think
> > it's solid enough.
>
> And my managers approve it :)  I should note, for the record, that
> I'm extremely impressed with pgpool.  I just think we have some room
> to grow before we can say we have something to really compete with
> the commercial multimaster systems.

Agreed.  pgpool is great.  But it's not RAC (That's a good thing,
actually :)