Re: Table Partitioning is in 8.1

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: Table Partitioning is in 8.1
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On K, 2005-09-21 at 18:10 +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> Table Partitioning is in 8.1
>
> I've just read Peter Eisentraut's presentation to the Dutch gov (very
> good BTW). On the last page I read that Table Partitioning is a future
> for PostgreSQL....which is strange because Constraint Exclusion is an
> 8.1 feature.
>
> I've had five other people ask about it too in the last 2 weeks, and all
> have been surprised that this has now been accepted for 8.1
>
> Is it possible that the Release Notes do not fully explain the
> Constraint Exclusion feature? Or is it the consensus that it works but
> not quite well enough to make a song and dance about yet?

It sure makes implementing Table Partitioning using inheritance much
simpler and efficient, and should be documented as such.

The release notes should certainly mention the words "Table
Partitioning" together with Constraint Exclusion so that people looking
(grepping) for partitioning will find it.

> Certainly, my docs submission is overdue...

This could be one of the reasons CE is not recognised as a feature
supporting table partitioning. ;)

--
Hannu Krosing <hannu@skype.net>