Re: Table Partitioning is in 8.1

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: Table Partitioning is in 8.1
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On K, 2005-09-21 at 15:39 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Is it possible that the Release Notes do not fully explain the
> > Constraint Exclusion feature? Or is it the consensus that it works but
> > not quite well enough to make a song and dance about yet?
>
> I hardly think that the existing constraint-exclusion code is enough for
> us to claim we "support table partitioning".  There's too much grunt
> work that the DBA still has to do to set up a partitioning arrangement.

We can probably claim that :

"Postgres has *low-level* support for table partitioning using and
Inheritance, Rules/Triggers and Constraint Exclusion , enabling DBAs to
set up complex partitioning schemes"

There certainly is much grunt work, but then we can get a better CE
performance than just "PARTITION TABLE TTT BY XXX" would give by having
constraints on multiple fields in some/all partitions, both overlapping
and not, possibly resulting in a better overall system. That is what
"low-level" in the above statement means.

--
Hannu Krosing <hannu@skype.net>