Re: VACUUM and read-mostly tables

От Ian Westmacott
Тема Re: VACUUM and read-mostly tables
Дата
Re: VACUUM and read-mostly tables
Список pgsql-admin
On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 11:39, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 11:13:06AM -0400, Ian Westmacott wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 00:41, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> > > We'll only answer if you do a write-up on your database. :P
> > >
> > > Seriously, those are some seriously big numbers. What else is the
> > > database doing? What hardware is it running on?
> >

> > We run on a dual 3.2GHz P4 with 2GB RAM, but are still
> > finalizing the storage hardware.  We've tried various
> > flavors of RAID, filesystems and volume management (and
> > are anxious to try out tablespaces in 8).  We've found
> > fragmentation to be our largest limiting factor.  XFS
> > helps with that, and seems to provide the highest
> > sustained throughput on raw tables, but its not the end
> > of the story since fragmentation is still high.
>
> What else is the database doing besides the inserts?

A proportionally small number of updates, no deletes, and
a set of moderately complex queries.

> And if UFS is available for linux you should might try it.

Would UFS help the fragmentation issue?  We have seen ext3
allocating blocks in 2-4 pages, while XFS manages 8-16
pages.

Thanks,

    --Ian

Сообщение: Re: VACUUM and read-mostly tables
Сообщение: Re: VACUUM and read-mostly tables