Re: Vacuum full on a big table

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Vacuum full on a big table
Список pgsql-admin
On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 15:10, Gaetano Mendola wrote:

> Hi all,
> is there a way to vacuum full a table but working only
> a part of the table ? I have a table with 6 milion rows
> and vacuum full it will send out of line for hours my
> server, so I'll like to vacuum that table multiple times
> in order to not block that table for a long period.
>
> It will work decresing the FSM settings ?

Vacuum full doesn't use fsm, lazy vacuum does (i.e. plain vacuum).  Is
there a reason you're doing a full vacuum?  Like you forgot to vacuum
for a while and now it needs it?  If not, then a full vacuum is
generally not necessary, and you're better off with regular vacuum and
large enough fsm settings.  Use vacuum analyze to see if you need to
increase them.

and no, you can't vacuum parts at a time.  it's all or nothing.
(*Unless that changes in 8.0...*)