ALTER TABLE help.

От Marco Rademeyer
Тема ALTER TABLE help.
Список pgsql-admin

Hi

I am quite new to PostgreSQL.

Could someone please help or gide me in the right direction.

My problem is that I have a table with about 15 billion entries. I need
to auto increment the table for the start and then every entry after
that.

I have create the field "num" that has the auto increment field set, but
it is only for the new fields that get added.

  this is what I have done:
step one : CREATE TABLE num_table (num SERIAL);
step two : ALTER TABLE test_stock ALTER COLUMN num SET DEFAULT
nextval(num_table_num_seq');

But this is how far I got.

Regards
Marco

Read our disclaimer at: http://www.picknpay.co.za/pnp/view/pnp/en/page5093?
If you don't have web access, the disclaimer can be mailed to you on request.
Disclaimer requests to be sent to it-security@pnp.co.za