Re: postgres user, forgotten password

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: postgres user, forgotten password
Список pgsql-admin
On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 08:07, Zouari Fourat wrote:
> Hello,
> i forgot the postgres user password, how to resolve this problem.
> once i have my postgres user working, how to list all users on the server ?
> thanks a bunch

First off, PostgreSQL stores passwords as md5 hashes (well, the last few
versions do anyway) so you won't be able to retrieve the password,
although a brute force md5 cracker might be able to eventually guess it
if it isn't too complex.

However, the standard way I use for getting back in is:

edit pg_hba.conf and set it to have an entry for local all all trust at
the top.  restart postgresql.  Log in as postgres (psql template1 -U
postgres) change the postgres password.  Edit pg_hba.conf and get rid of
the trust line, restart postgres, psql template1 -U postgres to get back
in, and use select * from pg_shadow to see all the usernames.