Re: PostgreSQL scaleability question

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: PostgreSQL scaleability question
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 15:51, Wang, Mary Y wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have been using PostgreSQL for my project repository, because it is
> free and easy to use.  My manager is trying to decide if he should use
> a commercial database such as Oracle or PostgreSQL for a giant
> information repository for the corporate.  He asked me what is the
> scaleability on PostgreSQL.  I don't have the answer.  So far, I have
> been very pleased with PostgreSQL, but I'm only using it for my
> project.
>
> Does anyone have any information on this?  Has anyone done any
> comparisons?

The only way to really know if it can handle your load is to build a
simulation and test it.

While it may be reassuring to have a salesperson for Database brand Y
assure you it can handle your load, you don't really know until you test
it.

The biggest loads that are easy to find examples of in the press would
probably be those handled by afilias to host the .org domain.  There are
bigger loads out there, that's just one of the easier ones to find.

For a list of a few known case studies, take a look here:

http://www.postgresql.org/about/casestudies/