Re: PgPool changes WAS: PostgreSQL clustering VS MySQL

От Ragnar Hafstað
Тема Re: PgPool changes WAS: PostgreSQL clustering VS MySQL
Re: PgPool changes WAS: PostgreSQL clustering VS MySQL
Список pgsql-performance
On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 09:52 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> [about keeping connections open in web context]
> Ah, clarity problem here.    I'm talking about connection pooling tools from
> the client (webserver) side, such as Apache::DBI, PHP's pg_pconnect,
> Jakarta's connection pools, etc.   Not pooling on the database server side,
> which is what pgPool provides.

note that these sometimes do not provide connection pooling as such,
just persistent connections (Apache::DBI)

> Most of these tools allocate a database connection to an HTTP/middleware
> client, and only release it after a specific period of inactivity.    This
> means that you *could* count on "web-user==connection" for purposes of
> switching back and forth to the master -- as long as the connection-recycling
> timeout were set higher than the pgPool switch-off period.

no. you can only count on web-server-process==connection, but not
web-user==connection, unless you can garantee that the same user
client always connects to same web-server process.

am i missing something ?

gnari

Сообщение: Re: PgPool changes WAS: PostgreSQL clustering VS MySQL clustering
Сообщение: Re: PgPool changes WAS: PostgreSQL clustering VS MySQL