Re: Rules on a view overwrite default values. Any way to

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Rules on a view overwrite default values. Any way to
Re: Rules on a view overwrite default values. Any way to  (Bradley Kieser <brad@kieser.net>)
Список pgsql-admin
On Mon, 2005-01-03 at 11:02, Bradley Kieser wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use views extensively to implement security on tables. This requires
> each table to have a view. All updates, inserts and deletes take place
> through the view. The view has rules for each of these operations
> defining security for that table. Under other conditions, the view also
> removes complex views of the underlying data from the application layer
> by supplying a view where the rules for update, insert and delete
> implement business logic.
>
> The problem is that rules on a view mean that the default values for NOT
> NULL columns (used extensively) no longer trigger!
>
> E.g.
>
> Table A had column "updated_time" which is not null default now().
> Inserting into the view on table A where "updated_time" has not been
> supplied will not fill in "now()". It will attempt to put in a null
> value and hence the insert will fail in the insert rule on that view.
>
> Is there any way to tell PG to implement the triggers on the underlying
> table? It will make it extremely difficult to implement this schema if I
> have to try to put in null field handling... and it really should be PG
> doing this not me! No doubt if this is a bug, it will be fixed in 8.x!

Try changing the udpate triggers you're creating to pass in DEFAULT
(similar to NULL in the way it's NOT quoted, etc...) in the update /
insert query to the lower level and see if that fixes things.