Re: pg_upgrade

От Rainer Leo
Тема Re: pg_upgrade
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
>>>  we are still using PostgreSQL 9.0.2 on Windows Server.

>>>  Now we are migrating to Windows Server 2012 R2 and we
>>>  would like to migrate PostgreSQL at the same time to
>>>  the current version 9.4.4-1

>>>  Which is the best way to migrate the data?

>>>  1. pg_dump on the old server
>>>  2. pg_retore on the new server
>>>  3. pg_upgrade on the new server

>>>  Is this correct or is there a "best procedure" to do this?

>> You do either 1 + 2 OR 3. pg_upgrade is binary upgrade, where as
>> pg_dump + pg_restore is "logical" (dump data and schemal to SQL
>> instructions). If you go that way also check pg_dumpall for dumping
>> the globals.

>> Regards

>> Jan

> Also, for 1+2 you would be advised to do the pg_dump/restore using the
> *new* binaries (9.4), things could get tricky otherwise...

> Ziggy

Thanks for your help.

Using the 9.4 pg_dump on the old server did not work (missing
libintl-8.dll), so I used the 9.0 pg_dump.

pg_restore on the new server worked fine, BUT the perfomance is
lousy, for example a query that took 1732ms on the old server now
takes longer than 32000ms every time on 9.4

I tuned the postgres.conf exactly like the old one, except for more
RAM in some parameters.

Does this mean I have to install 9.4 on the old server so I can use
pg_upgrade?

Rainer