Re: "Optional ident" authentication

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: "Optional ident" authentication
Дата
Re: "Optional ident" authentication
Список pgsql-hackers
> Quite apart from security concerns, I find this design awkward.

That's really the basis of my objection to it: having an auth method
that changes the basic semantics of the surrounding logical structure
is, at best, awkward and confusing.  When it's in a security-critical
context, those attributes get triple demerits because of the risk of
unforeseen consequences at the implementation level (eg, clients not
being prepared for two successive login challenges of different kinds),
not to mention the likelihood of an admin writing a pg_hba.conf file
that doesn't do what he expected because he didn't understand what would
happen.

The examples given at the top of the thread don't seem to me to justify
any new contortions anyway:

>> My personal itch is that I'd like to have an "ident sameuser"
>> authentication that falls back on, say, PAM authentication when system
>> user A wants to log into postgres under a different username B.

You can accomplish that with
local    sameuser    all    ident sameuserlocal    all        all    pam

>> ... to grant a web application or daemon passwordless
>> login to its database while other users still need a password.
local    webapp,daemon    all    ident sameuserlocal    all        all    pam

Сообщение: Re: [CORE] RC1 blocker issues
Сообщение: Re: [CORE] RC1 blocker issues