Re: 'prepare' is not quite schema-safe

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: 'prepare' is not quite schema-safe
Дата
Re: [Dbdpg-general] Re: 'prepare' is not quite schema-safe  (David Wheeler <david@kineticode.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Vlad <marchenko@gmail.com> writes:
> so is it possible that a successfully prepared (and possibly a couple
> of times already executed)  query will be invalidated by postgresql
> for some reason (like lack of memory for processing/caching other
> queries)? Assuming that no database structure changes has been
> performed.

Well, that assumption is wrong to start with: what if the query plan
uses an index that someone else has chosen to drop?  Or the plan
depends on an inlined copy of a SQL function that someone has since
changed?  Or the plan was chosen on the basis of particular settings
of planner parameters like random_page_cost, but the user has changed
these via SET?  (The last is a pretty close analogy to changing
search_path, I think.)

I am not claiming that the backend handles all these cases nicely
today: it certainly doesn't.  But we understand in principle how
to fix these problems by invalidating plans inside the backend.
I don't see how the DBD::Pg driver can hope to deal with any of
these situations :-(