Re: Export from 7.4 and import to 8.0 - unicode errors

От Markus Bertheau
Тема Re: Export from 7.4 and import to 8.0 - unicode errors
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
В Чтв, 14.10.2004, в 06:28, Scott Chapman пишет:
> I'm getting Unicode errors when I export (with pg_dump) my database from
> version 7.4 and then import it into a new 8.0 database (with psql).
>
> The situation is that this data has fields with ascii characters in them and
> utf-8 characters also.  Both types of characters are in a given field.  The
> entire dump is NOT utf-8 encoded.

ASCII is a subset of UTF-8, so every ASCII character is a UTF-8
character, too.

> I can't figure out how to get this to be imported into the new database
> without errors unless I turn the entire thing into utf-8 using recode. That
> does not work well because the fields in question have to be utf8_decoded (in
> php) TWICE before they display correctly.
>
> How do I deal with this?  It's got me very puzzled!

What encoding is the 7.4 database in? What encoding is the 8.0 database
in? Did you set client_encoding? What's the error message?

--
Markus Bertheau <twanger@bluetwanger.de>