Re: Adding multiple instances to 7.4

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Adding multiple instances to 7.4
Список pgsql-admin
On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 04:12, Andrew J Delamare wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm a little new to postgres but I am wondering (as it doesn't seem to be in
> the in site documentation) how to add multiple instances to a 7.4 Postgres
> installation.
>
> The scenario is that I have 4 Databases all on separate systems at the
> moment that are core the business and the thought was that we could put them
> all onto one high availability machine as instances under 1 postgres
> install.
>
> Is there any documented way of doing that or does anyone have experience of
> doing that they would like to share with me.

Unless you have some out of the ordinary requirements, you should be
able to just createdb dbname the databases you need.  It is possible to
set up multiple clusters, each listening on a different port, but this
means each postmaster has its own shared_memory requirements, and
generally places a heavier load on the server than running the databases
out of the same cluster.