Re:

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re:
Список pgsql-admin
On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 06:39, erdenemandal wrote:
> Hello,
>

> My name is Erdenemandal. I am using PostgreSQL and plpgsql language. I
> am wondering , is it possible to call shell programm from plpgsql
> language. I want to create XML file from Database.
>

> I mean I want to use plpgsql language for export settings (in
> database) in XML format.

There are two classes of procedural languages in PostgreSQL, safe and
unsafe.  Safe procedural languages don't do anything with file systems,
email, etc...  plpgsql is one of the safe languages.  Unsafe languages
are allowed to do more dangerous things, like play with the file system
etc...

There's a stub called pl/sh out there somewhere that literally lets you
pretty much just call shell scripts from within postgresql.  Any other
unsafe language will also let you do this, like tcl, perl, or php.