standard IDENTITY support (Was: Re: SERIAL type not autoincremented)

От Markus Bertheau
Тема standard IDENTITY support (Was: Re: SERIAL type not autoincremented)
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
В Птн, 02.07.2004, в 19:22, teknet@poczta.onet.pl пишет:
> Hello
> i have:
> create table student(
> id                      SERIAL NOT NULL,
> name               VARCHAR(35) NOT NULL,
> primary key (id)
> );
>
> and when i try to insert like this:
> insert into student (name) values('me');
> i receive error:
> ERROR:  duplicate key violates unique constraint "student_pkey"

Is this scenario possible in standard SQL identity columns? From what I
read here[1], a standard IDENTITY column can guarantee successful
insertion of a unique key. Is there similar support planned for
PostgreSQL?

Thanks.

--
Markus Bertheau <twanger@bluetwanger.de>