Re: diskspace bigger after a vacuum

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: diskspace bigger after a vacuum
Список pgsql-admin
On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 06:54, Vincent van der Locht wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question, I wnat to use a postgresql database in a embedded
> appliance, and thus want to keep the database as small as possible.
> I'd noticed that de diskspace only grows when i do an VACUUM; or a
> ./vacuumdb. Can this be explained why this is? or why this can be?
>
> i use postgresql 7.4.2 and run on fedora core 1.

I'd look at firebirdSQL for this kind of work.  It has a naturally
smaller footprint, and can run, if I remember correctly, as a shared lib
right underneath your application.

Not that you can't slim down postgresql to fit on a smaller memory card
etc... but it's just not really built for this kind of application.