Re: PostgreSQL Performance

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Performance
Список pgsql-admin
On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 08:34, Milosz Miecznik wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have very important question about performance of PostgreSQL Database. How
> it will work with:
> - about 3000000 insert operation per day,
> - about 1000000 selects per day,
> - about 100 still connected users?
> What hardware platform shall I use for such big database (RAM, No. of CPUs,
> Hard discs capasity...?)
> What operating system  shall I use? (I think about RedHat 8.x)

In acceptance testing on a dual 2.8 GHz P4 with 2 gigs ram and a pair of
UWSCSI drives running under an LSI/MegaRAID320 controller, with
pg_autovacuum running in the background, I was able to handle 10,000,000
transactions in 12 hours.  That was with 250 simo connections running
40,000 transactions each.

Now, how big are your inserts?  If they're reasonable small, like
financial info, then you can easily handle 3M inserts a day.  If they're
really complex and have lots of constraints or FKs to deal with, then
maybe not.   But a Dual P4 with 2 gigs ram and a pair of mirrored hard
drives is kinda an entry level db server nowadays.  A machine with more
disk bandwidth could probably handle quite a bit more.