Re: contrib vs. gborg/pgfoundry for replication solutions

От Rod Taylor
Тема Re: contrib vs. gborg/pgfoundry for replication solutions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 20:09, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, Rod Taylor wrote:
>
> > I guess that is where we differ in opinion. pgadmin is not addon or an
> > enhancement, it is a part of the core project every bit as much as the
> > gnome-panel is a part of gnome. Sure, gnome-libs does all the heavy
> > lifting, but without the panel most users are lost.
>
> No it isn't ... you don't need pgadmin, or jdbc, or libpgtcl, or ... to
> run a PostgreSQL server ... you need the postgresql core, and, as things
> are going, libpq and that is about it ... even psql is becoming less of a
> requirement as the support utilities that have been using it move towards
> C vs shell wrappers ...

Thats actually my point. You don't need epiphany, gnome-panel, gcalc or
solitare to have a desktop you can use, but since a majority find those
items to be useful they have been included in the default desktop. Those
applications are not forced upon users who don't want them, nor are they
the only applications available.

The perception of PostgreSQL being difficult to use has very little to
do with the software itself. The decision has already been made that
MySQL is easy and PostgreSQL is difficult at the download page while the
user was trying to figure out if the software did what they require.

Simply put, nobody on this list is a typical PostgreSQL user. This is
shown by the simple fact that they care enough about the software to
have joined the list in the first place. A much more common PostgreSQL
user is someone who has been given a last minute task to complete and
wants to to get it over with as quickly as possible so they can go home.

Maybe I'm wrong. But I run into many more of the latter in my average
day than I do the former.

Сообщение: Re: contrib vs. gborg/pgfoundry for replication solutions
Сообщение: Re: contrib vs. gborg/pgfoundry for replication solutions