Re: Standby server startup question - not broken, just curious

От Scott Whitney
Тема Re: Standby server startup question - not broken, just curious
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
My understanding is this:

Once the standby stops (restarts, HUP, whatever), it needs to connect to the primary and get anything that didn't happen during the down time.

This is _always_ somewhere in a WAL, hence wal_keep_segments. If this is set sufficiently high, you don't _need_ WAL archiving. It will find the missing pieces from those, replay, and get back into streaming mode.

In the event that it's missing pieces it needs to replay, you'll need to reinitialize your standby from a base backup and start it back up.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.