Re: Postgres and multiprocessor?

От Corey Edwards
Тема Re: Postgres and multiprocessor?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 02:23, mlists wrote:
> Can PostgreSQL use multiple processors if they are present in a
> computer, and if so, how much will it speed up database server? Tnx in
> advance.

Postgres has no special functionality regarding processors. Each
connection is handled by a separate process. A multi-CPU aware OS is
then free to run those as best it sees fit.

Given that databases are typically RAM or I/O bound as they scale,
adding more processors to a machine is not a silver bullet. Performance
is extremely dependent on the situation. If you really need a number to
satisfy a PHB, try 42.

Corey